These are some of the things that are in my SQL Toolbox (in no particular order). Most are free and some are available for a small fee:
- Padre’s T-SQL Scripts
- These are the scripts I use the most.
- technically not free, but it is the BEST $96 dollars I have spent for any SQL tool!!!
- SQL Server First Aid Kit by Brent Ozar Unlimited
- this includes sp_Blitz, sp_BlitzIndex, sp_BlitzCache (my personal favorite)
- DMV Diagnostic Queries by Glenn Berry
- support for 2005, 2008, 2008 R2, 2012, and 2014 (also 2016 CTP)
- Idera Free Tools — ok, technically this isn’t just one tool; but I have never been disappointed by any of their tools.
- Terminals — OK, this one is not technically a “SQL tool”; but for me it is invaluable to keep track of all the servers that I may have to remote into (on occasion of course).
- SQL Sentry Plan Explorer — this is a tool I am quickly learning how to use! fantastic way to look at query plans!