Determining specs for a new SQL Server
I have been tasked for “specking” out the requirements for a new OTLP SQL Server and I would like some feed back on this as well.
Here are my initial requirements, we have to use SQL 2008 R2 because the application that will be using these databases have not been certified for SQL 2012 yet (boo)
Some background, the current server has over 1 TB of databases and is highly active with over 100 concurrent connections. These connection process UPDATE, INSERT, DELETE statements like they were going out of style. And one of these databases is a repository for data used by SSRS Reports. Not an ideal situation, but I have to follow application manufacture guidelines.
here’s what I have:
- OS: Windows Sever 2008 R2 x64
- SQL: SQL Server 2008 R2 Enterprise Edition x64
- Processors: 2 Quad core processors
- Memory: as much as can be budgeted, but minimum of 64 GB
- Local Drives:
- 1 – System Drive for OS & Applications the minimum free space needs to equal the amount of RAM installed
- 1 — for TempDB, Full-Text Indexes, other resources and System databases
- Database drives: SAN Connections 2 drives: one drive for MDF and one drive for LDF
Please let me know if I missed something or if I am TOTALLY off my rocker with this setup.